This page has moved! Visit our new site here: tuftspda.com.
Nathan Vanderford joined us for a great seminar on navigating the world of alternative careers in Academia!
Where do current US Biology, Agricultural and Environmental PhD Grads work post-defense?
- 52% in Academia
- 48% in Industry
It’s OK to not pursue a tenure track position!
Percent of Doctorate Recipients With Job or Postdoc Commitments, by Field of Study
Use your PhD as a hub for your career path.
2003: Bachelors in Science
2008: PhD in Biochemistry
2009-2010: Scientific Writer and Editor (Markey Cancer Center, U. Kentucky)
2010-2011: Postdoctoral Fellowship (Moleculr Physiology & Biphysics, Vanderbilt University)
2010-2011: Director of Research Communications (Markey Cancer Center, U. Kentucky)
-decided to pursue and career in administration
-no interviews!! What now?
-refocused cover letter from research to transferrable skills
-applied for entry level (vs. jobs with experience)
2013: Masters of Business Administration (Midway University)
-Nathan highly recommends an MBA for anyone interested in careers in business or working in a non-profit
2014-present: Assistant Dean for Academic Development (College of Medicine, U. Kentucky)
2014-present: Assistant Professor (Dept. of Toxicology & Cancer, U. Kentucky)
Nathan’s job description:
Provide scientifically-oriented administrative support to all cancer research and related academic/career development activities within the Department of Toxicology and Cancer Biology, the Markey Cancer Center and the College of Medicine
- Operations manager
- PR/Marketing liaison
- Government affairs liaison
- Career Development
What does a research administrator do?
Grant and state support activities
- Kentucky Lung Cancer Research Fund
- Cigarette Excise Tax Program
- Cancer Center Support Grant (Ass’t Director for Research)
- Career Training in Oncology Program (Creator/Founder and Director)
Lots of reporting to the state and government agencies!
Using your PhD as a hub for career selection:
- Academic affairs
- Institutional Effectiveness
- Diversity and Inclusion
- Library Services
- Economic Development
- Extension Services
- Information Services
- Finance and Administration
- Human Resources
- Public Relations
- Sponsored Projects
- Research Compliance
- Research Operations
- Research Development
- Health Care Entrepreneurship support
How to find your next job:
- Provide value
- Develop your personal brand
- your knowledge
- your value proposition
- your mission
- your values
- your skills
- your vision
- Use social media to advertising and demonstrate your brand
- Twitter, Reddit, LinkedIn, Blogger, LinkedIn, Instagram
- Gain practical work experience in your field of interest through internships, volunteering and collaborations